Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Module 6: Poetry Book Review: Janeczko




Dirty Laundry




By Paul B. Janeczko


I acquired this book of poetry at the last Scholastic Book Fair and was pleased to set aside time to explore Paul B. Janeczko's collection of 27 poems written by a variety of poets. Many of the familiar poets include Karla Kuskin, Bobbi Katz, Lillian Moore, and Douglas Florian, while he also includes selections from names that are not as familiar.


This collection is unique as Janeczko explains that the poems are all written in the voice of the object or animal (also called "persona" or "mask" poems). While many of the poems are humorous, such as Peggy B. Leavitt's The Mosquito's Song "So please hold still at this juncture, while I make a tiny p u n c t u r e!" and John Collis' Job Satisfaction "I am a young bacterium And I enjoy my work..." others are more thoughtful in nature. No matter what the mood, this book provides many opportunities for read alouds and the chance to enjoy Melissa Sweet's colorful watercolor cartoons.

I selected the first poem in Janeczko's book because today will be the hottest day of the year thus far, and I'm already yearning for a day at the beach. Enjoy the pulling sensation as the shell draws you near!


Shell
By Deborah Chandra
Come, press my mouth against your ear,
I hold a message just for you,
Deep inside my throat is where
It curls, waiting for you to hear.
Put there by the sea itself,
Who whispered something you should know
In shadowy sounds wound round my shell,
And with my hidden tongue, I'll tell.

Janeczko, Paul B. 2001. Dirty Laundry Pile: Poems in Different Voices. United State of America: HarperCollins Publishers.

Photo courtesy of http://www.alibris.com/.

No comments: