Monday, February 16, 2009

Module 2: Poetry Break: NCTE Award Poet


The Dark

By Myra Cohn Livingston

Introduction: Never mind how distracted I was by the wonderful collection of poems in this Big Book of Poetry! I concentrated on the three poems by NCTE Award winning poet, Myra Cohn Livingston. I chose to use The Dark for my Poetry Break. The Dark is a poem for every child who has had some apprehension when the lights go out at bedtime. This poem would be fun to read in the dark with a flashlight. After reading the poem, look around the darkened classroom and identify things that look much different in the dark than they do with the lights on.

The Dark

It's always

dark

around my bed

and darkest

where I put my head;

and there are nights

when strange sounds

call

inside

the hollow

of the wall

and creaking noises

from inside

the closet

where

the

nightmares

hide;

so after I have said

my prayers

and hear them

talking from

downstairs,

I look around

so I can see

where everything

I know should be--

especially

along the floor,

the crack of light

beneath the door.

Extension: Follow up with the Caldecott award winning book, Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. Take time to notice the illustrations as Max's bedroom furnishings transform into exotic locations with mythical creatures. *Invite students to share scenarios they have imagined after their lights go out at bedtime (* discuss with older elementary students)

Martin, Jr, Bill and Michael Sampson. 2008. The Bill Martin Jr Big Book of Poetry. New York: Simon & Schuster.

Photo courtesy of http://www.target.com/

No comments: